The best time to think about flood insurance is before you actually need it. Everyone lives in either a high-risk or low-risk flood zone. Getting a flood insurance quote is the first step toward giving yourself peace of mind.
How flood insurance works
You may be surprised to learn that your property insurance doesn’t cover flood damage. That’s because flood insurance policies are generally purchased separately through government programs
What flood insurance covers
Available to homeowners, condo owners, landlords, business owners and renters, flood insurance may cover:
- Furniture, clothing and other belongings
- Certain cleanup expenses
- Damages to your heating and cooling system
- Repair or replacement of flooring
What to do if your home floods?
- Put safety first. In the event of extreme flooding, get out. And seek a safe location immediately.
- File an insurance claim and contact our customer service.
- Before you re-enter your home, make sure the building is structurally sound and not in danger of collapse.